Friday, July 28, 2006

mexico turn

Some of our trips look really good on paper.... until we fly them. Considering the fact that I am drowning in debt, I have been trying to pick up flying lately, for extra money. The funny bit is though, that flying too much makes me mentally ill, and causes me to do things like run to a bar and spend $100, or run to the Nordstroms shoe department to console myself in new shoes. So I really should probably just fly minimums, conserve my mental health, thereby getting out of debt an easier way. But I am still learning....

My little Mexico turn was actually not bad.. pretty good crew, and we got out and back on time, without delays. The "crowd" was a little challenging though... the type that flies once every Hailey's comet, and ask when the hot meal is coming, as I sashay down the aisle selling the snack boxes we have been selling for the past 5 years. These poor people,,, so excited to be going to some trashy resort...

The most shocking bit though were the questions asked after we handed out the customs forms. I kept running back to the galley to report the "best" ones so far... but they continued to create fierce competition for one another, asking increasingly stupid questions. I thought I had found a winner when a girl about 20 years old asked me what to put down next to Nationality. I looked at her for a second, blinked, and I said put down your nationality... your citizenship. She then said "you mean like North America"? and I responded, Are you Mexican, Canadian, and American? then it was her turn to blink, and say "no, just American". And then I in a pleasant flight attendant style way said "well I suggest you write that then!!" Then I booted it back to the galley proclaiming I had won, I had received the dumbest question of the day. The other F/A said "how sad. and these are our fellow Americans.....and they don't even know it!!!

I totally had it in the bag, so I thought, until I walked by our purser in the aisle who was leaning over a lady with a silk screen unicorn on her t-shirt. I overheard her asking him which box to tick for mode of transport into Mexico, Land, Air, or Marine. She didn't even seem to know she was in the air!

I was slightly envious of my dumb question only getting the silver medal...

Oh well, maybe next time. It is a fun contest to play....

I am off now, for a few days, and fly again on Tuesday, on reserve (scary).