Thursday, April 27, 2006

Germany


Finally, after several weeks of being hit by the ugly trip stick, I got an international trip.. which is what I prefer.. longer layovers and the option of purchasing duty free on the way home! I knew a good trip was coming.. after so many crappy ones. I am starting to suspect that the company has a formula of bad trips to good, which can maximize the flight attendant abuse they can deliver, while retaining employees, with the random and rare good trip reward...

When I was studying Psychology, I remember learning that researchers can motivate rats to continue pressing a food releasing lever for longer if payout was random, than if it was consistent or absent.. Much like how old ladies will sit at the slot machines in Vegas for hours.. waiting for random payouts...

so basically,, we are like the rats! or ladies in Vegas! *&^% trip, **&^% trip, good trip, ((&(*&& trip, *&%$# trip...

This is why I am still in this rodents' cage of a job, 7 years later!

Anyway, Germany was good.. When we arrived our hotel rooms were not ready... so we lounged around the lobby looking very disheveled. The staff took pity on us and gave us croissants and mimosas. I believe this is because they overheard us uttering threats of changing into pajamas and laying down in the lobby... (and believe me, it wouldn't be a collectively pretty picture).. so they were trying to appease us...

I slept most of the day, went out for a walk, a quick workout, and then down to the bar for a proper debriefing.. We went to a wine bar and restaurant downtown which was good.. and then to bed, to toss and turn and try to force sleep so I could function on the flight home... and God, what a nightmare that was.. I had to work in "the Village" (coach)... I am still suffering a little.. I knocked over a plant in my room, my uniform is in a heap, and there are gummy bears everywhere... which I ripped open in my jetlagged stupor. Oh well! It's ok, because I feel a bit better today than yesterday.. and I am sure I will feel almost normal before I have my next trip, starting the cycle again!